Sunday, October 18, 2009

database analysis-representation language

Book index with Reviews-Representation Language

The database that I have chosen use natural language instead of controlled vocabulary. The basic search does not include the Boolean operators, but the advanced search does. The advanced search also allows for Smart text searching. This allows the user to type as much text as they want to include in the search, from a phrase to a sentence or even more if necessary.
Basic search-I chose to see what quantity of results that I would get for children’s literature. Children’s literature received 3500 hits.
Spelling test
To test whether or not this database understands misspellings, I tested several terms pertaining to books.
1. Junir fiction- this produce no results, but I was asked whether I meant junior fiction, junji fiction, or jauntier fiction.
2. Bigrphy- this also produced no results, I was then asked whether I meant biography or biographee.
3. Fction-this actually produced one result, the terms given as options were faction, factions, or fiction
4. Colour-this British word produced about 33,028 hits and then I tried the American spelling-color. The exact same hits were retrieved and it did not question my spelling.
Synonym Test
For this specific test, I used the advanced search.
1.(su)children’s literature-3006 hits
(su)books for kids-0 hits

After adding the Boolean operator and
(su) books and (su)kids-15 hits

(ti) math and (ti)kids-121 hits
(ti) arithmetic and (ti)kids-0 hits

(ti)math-8263 hits
(ti)arithmetic-1680 hits

(su)spiders-5504 hits
(su)arachnids-28 hits
***My favorite book is Charlotte’s Web.

When using this database, either the basic search or the advanced search would be fruitful. This specific database offers suggestions for misspelled words but does not offer synonyms. Therefore the user would have to know the synonyms for their search terms. Some synonyms produced quality results, while others did not.

No comments:

Post a Comment