Sunday, April 17, 2011

Module 6-Poetry by Kids/LS-5663-20


Module 6-Poetry by Kids
Things I have to tell you: poems and writing by teenage girls. Betsy Franco. Somerville, Massachusetts: Candlewick Press, 2001. ISBN 978-0-7636-1035-7
Teenage girls are mysterious individuals. They are precious, wonderful, will be loving one minute and screaming at you the next. This book is composed of the writing of young adolescent girls who were able to verbalize their feelings and frustrations through poetry. The editor of this book began the process of writing the book when a family friend shared some the struggles that she was going through. The idea started in the local high schools in the area and, eventually spread across the country.
Each of the poems included in the book reinforce the purpose of the book, which is to allow the voice of young girls to be heard in a setting where they feel that someone is listening and not judging. Many of the poems are very frank and explicit about a variety of topics, such as sharing a part of themselves with a boy and then having the boy leave them for someone else, or always expected to be perfect in every way. The following poem is very descriptive and to the point in regards to the feelings of a teenage girl.
Escape
I look inside me and I don’t see it
I don’t see the power
The confidence you say I have
You say I can do anything
That I’m sure of myself and my intentions
And I wonder
But I don’t know
If it’s all there
Waiting for the opportunity
To jump into you
And try to help you
Fix you
Ask you
Why? Because I don’t know
I wait anxiously
Feeling my stomach
A block of ice
Chipping away, melting,
Then freezing up again
Who can I follow?
Theresa Hossfield, age 16
The excerpt given stimulates the feelings and emotions felt by many teenage girls, as well as adults who have experience the same feeling during their teen years. I would use this book as a way to allow adolescent girls to sharing their feelings. Due to explicit language and the personal nature of some of the topics, I would use the book in a setting where the girls would feel comfortable sharing their feelings and similar frustrations after hearing the poems read aloud. I feel that the appropriate setting could be among girls in a youth group or in a group of girls in an English class. I feel that these poems could be better understood and appreciated if read aloud. I would have the girls in the group share either written or orally their feelings and opinions after listening to the poems. Students could also be encouraged to write their own poetry about similar experiences.
Several of the poems could be shared in a classroom setting with both sexes present. The poems could be used to allow the boys to share their feelings from a male point of view. I feel that if this is used then ground rules must be set to ensure the feelings that are shared will be respected.

No comments:

Post a Comment