Saturday, January 29, 2011

Module 1-Hopkins Collection/LS 5663-20

Hopkins,Lee B.. Me! A book of poems. New York: The Seabury Press, 1970.
(No image available)
(No ISBN, only Library of Congress Catalog Card Number 72-115782)
Each of the poems compiled in this book evoke a moment of wonder from our childhood. Many of the poems chosen by Lee Bennett Hopkins bring back memories of childhood. Each poem chosen highlights a child’s unique individuality and each poem allows for self discovery. Discovering shadows, climbing trees, and the fascination of losing a tooth are among the topics used to stimulate the emotions of the reader. Each of the poems would be perfect to share with reluctant readers using choral reading or echo reading in order to encourage fluency. The illustrations done by Talivaldis Stubis help the reader to visualize what the poets are sharing.
The poems are compatible with the theme of the book. Hopkins chose poems that would encourage young readers to share their thoughts, share their experiences, and have a sense of wonder about themselves.
The following poem would be useful at the beginning of the school year, when teachers are asking students to share about themselves.
Everybody Says by Dorothy Aldis
Everybody says
I look just like my mother.
Everybody says
I’m the image of Aunt Bee.
Everybody says
My nose is like my father’s
But I want to look like ME!
I would use this poem when working on units and stories about family. This poem could be part of an at home project in which students could share information about their family. I usually do this project every year and I have my students share what activities they like to do with their families, what make their family special and then this information is compiled into a class family album that is kept in the library center of our classroom. This poem could also be shared as a way to begin an author study on Kevin Henkes or Jan and Stan Berenstain.

No comments:

Post a Comment